website stat
USS Pirates

Sunday, July 8, 2007

I have created an online poll to help me determine which four movie posters I wish to buy for my display board. Since they will be viewed in a college building, seen by other students and not just myself, I would like some input as to what movie posters you would like to see put up. At the end of this post are pictures displaying the posters you are voting for.

Here's the scenario. You're walking down the hall, late to class probably, not that the professor will notice. You see this display board that always has really boring history junk in it, and you never give it a second glance. But THIS semester... it's different. You stop and look, because what you see interests you. Jeez, it has movie posters! And it's supposed to be talking about research!

Now, which of the following posters caught your eye?

What made you stop, ponder, and go 'huh... interesting!'? Or made you laugh... or make you think twice about what you saw? What would capture your attention, and more importantly, your interest?

Please look carefully, then click the link below to vote for your favorite. If you choose the Sea Hawk one, please leave a message saying if you chose poster A or B.


Yarr! Take this poll and tell me what you want to see!


If you have suggestions, comments, or more than one poster that you would liked to have voted for, please tell me! Feel free to also explain why you chose the poster you did. I appreciate all ideas and comments that may help me present a more interesting display case. (NOTE: comments are moderated, so don't worry if your comments don't show up right away.)

To answer questions I have already heard: No,the display case is not all movie posters. That is actually a very small part of the overall display. Yes, there will be random and interesting facts put inside of it.

Thank you for your time!


Peter Pan (1953)



Swashbuckler (1976)



The Buccaneer (1958)




Blackbeard's Ghost (1968)



Captain Blood (1935)




Master of Ballantrae (1953)




Hook (1991)



Pirates of Penzance (1983)


The Black Pirate (1926)




The Sea Hawk [A] (1940)




The Sea Hawk [B](1940)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted for Sea Hawk ([A.] variety. I didn't see a specific choice on the poll) Though, I was thoroughly torn between that and Blackbeard's Ghost. What I like about the Sea Hawk is its aggressive color and action pose. It's very attention getting, but other than that, it's nothing unique. Blackbeard's Ghost is still eye catching, and makes you do a double take. Is that an invisible pirate on a motorcycle? I love it. Maybe I shoulda voted for that one. In either case, they're both great posters. "Hook" might be good too, if only for the nostalgia factor that many college age students would feel when they notice it. Contra wise, I am strongly against the Disney's Peter Pan poster, for though there are certainly pirates in the movie, I associate that movie more with the flying sprite kid than the villain. It's also just not a very interesting poster.

Toast said...

I think perhaps the more obscure ones will get more looks, but having one or two more familiar ones (any of the Disney ones) may catch peoples' eye among older ones they won't know. The fact that many of the older ones have pretty famous familiar names in big letters on them with reference to obscure movies may help too.

Anonymous said...

I can't decide between The Buccaneer and The Sea Hawk [A]! They both show some action and have neat backgrounds behind the main character(s). I agree with Jordan that maybe Peter Pan shouldn't be included, because it's too "cute" and doesn't have enough focus on the pirates.

Steph said...

I chose Sea Hawk A for much the same reason as Jordan. I've never even heard of the movie but the poster caught my attention just for the overt display of aggression on the poster. Hook would probably catch my eye but only in the sense of seeing a showing of it somewhere. I'd likely be disappointed if it was just used as a gimmick in a display.

Also agree about the Peter Pan thing.

Captain Blood also caught my eye but more for the fact that I was trying to figure out if it was a man or a woman posing.

And if I might make one suggestion, the movie Pirates! from the 80s (Walter Matthau) has a pretty cool poster.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5814/piratesul5.jpg

Anonymous said...

i voted for captain blood, because any movie that features errol flynn and olivia dehavilland needs to be front and center, and since it can't be The Adventures of Robin Hood, it's gotta be captain blood! Plus it's very bold and eye catching without being crowded. My other choices were blackbeards ghost (again, for the pirates on motorcycles double take) and also the swashbuckler interested me, old movie buff that i am it had a lot of names that i like. plus i absolutely love the term swashbuckle. I (unlike the other posters) thought having the peter pan poster might be a good idea, since it shows the range of pirate movies there are. (I also love peter pan - well, not that version, but the story and a lot of the other movies) But if you are going to include Hook then you may not want to have two versions of the same story represented. So those are my thoughts, and also my very rambling comment about them... Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sea Hawk, part deux.